Monday

6. Ch 4-6 of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Summary: Tom goes to Sunday school, buys himself the prestige of a bible and embarrasses himself, along with his town, in front of an important judge. Then he sits bored in church, until a dog and a pinch-bug interrupt the whole service. On Monday he pretends to have an ailment to get out of school and gets a tooth pulled out. We meet Huck Finn, who trades him his tick for Tom's tooth (Huck drives a hard bargain). He is late to school and he has to sit next to Becky Thatcher. He draws her a picture that says "I love you" and then gets dragged back to his own seat.


Commentary: In these chapters, I learned that boys are grody. Huck and Tom spend like half an hour talking about gross, old tree-stump water and warts and I don't even think I would be able to talk about those things for that long. Also, what in Cardiff Hill is that boy going to do with a tick? That is what I would like to know. I also learned that Tom is a sort of "player," in today's terms. Even considering all these things, I still find the character adorable, but that is not probably something he would enjoy knowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment