Sunday

2. Ch 1-3 of The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1876)

Summary: The first thing Tom Sawyer does is play hooky to swim in the river, and he almost gets away with it, until Sid points out the black thread he used to sew his collar back together. He also gets into a fight with a slightly snotty boy and the next morning tricks several neighborhood boys into whitewashing a fence, and paying him for it on top of that. Then Tom lays eyes on the adorable Becky Thatcher, and later Sid knocks over and breaks the sugar bowl and Tom gets clobbered for it, because let's face it, his hand is in the sugar bowl half the time anyway.

Commentary: I started reading this book in the 9th grade but I wasn't all that interested in it, to be honest. But when I picked it up again this year, I was pleased to find that I truly enjoyed it. Well, the first seven chapters, anyway, because that is all I have read for now. I'd always heard of the infamous whitewashing scam, but this is the first time I actually read it from the source. The way Twain so matter-of-factly narrates Tom's various misadventures only emphasizes the boyish foolishness of Tom Sawyer, and the occasional snippets of moral wisdom that are extracted from Tom's experiences also appeal to the adult I pretend to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment